Resume Check Checklist - Talking's Resume
Who is this guide for? This guide is intended to help you find a job, conduct an in-depth examination of your resume and those who are interested in upgrading your resume to a higher, more effective and professional level.
Type of information:
it's important to remember! Along with wanting to highlight yourself it is important to be careful about building CV Standard. There are information items that are expected to appear on your resume so that potential employers can contact you.
If the following categories do not appear, it is important that you go through them again and fill in the blanks / change accordingly:
- Personal Information
- Resume Summary
- Work Experience
- Education and studies
- Military service (in Israel)
- Language proficiency
- A preliminary letter
The following categories are not required and it is recommended to add them if the information is available:
- Publications - if relevant (accepted mainly in academia).
- Awards, recognition and honors - for example, graduation with honors.
How to write a quality resume? Recruiters devote very little time to moving on to resumes. Therefore, it is important to write correctly so that recruiters focus on your resume. Use keywords - In many workplaces (mostly high-tech companies) recruiters use smart resume scanning software according to "keywords" / certain terms in resume documents. For example, for a web key job the software will scan a resume that includes a keyword: Web development for testing candidates who meet the job requirements.
So how do you work with relevant keywords?
Use the keywords described in the job requirements to describe the roles you have performed and your knowledge. Also, here it is worth noting that the software can scan only Word documents and not PDF documents so it is important that the writing of the document is done on a Word document only otherwise the resume will not reach the recruiters. Note that if you do not have enough familiarity / specific experience with the job described, think about positions you have held in the past that can help you apply for the relevant job. For example, managerial experience is required to be expressed, you should list positions you have performed in the past that are related to the managerial field so that you can meet the job requirements and not lose it because of one detail.
What should you check before submitting a resume?
First, do not send the same document to several different jobs and certainly not to several different positions. Remember, it is important to show recruiters how relevant you are to the job in a very short time and therefore the document should only include the information relevant to the job such as your knowledge, skills and abilities. In addition, special emphasis on the relevant language that should be used to apply for the job: If the job is published in English, a resume must be submitted in that language. In addition, in Israeli high-tech companies that work with customers abroad, you should send your resume in English.
So how do you do that?
- Formulate clearly and appropriately.
- Make sure you do not have spelling errors. If you are unsure about writing a particular word, check it out on Google. Remember! Even just one mistake will hurt your initial impression.
- Place at the top of the document the chapter that can best advance you to the specific job and at the bottom of a chapter that is least relevant to the job. For example, for a security position such as the "Personal Security Unit", military service will be very relevant to the position and you will have to place it at the top.
Uniform design and language
- Font: Write in a uniform and clear font. Use Arial size 12.
- Colors: For most jobs, black will suffice unless there are positions where there is a demand for more stylish writing such as in the field of design and creative.
- Spacing: Note that the spacing between the lines is between 1.35 and 1.5.
- Bullets - Use bullets correctly to create a clear structure for reading easily and quickly.
In addition, you can draw the recruiter's attention to certain details that are appropriate for the job.
- Uniform language throughout the resume - If you have chosen a certain space, be sure to use it throughout the document. When using reliefs be careful not to change them in different parts.
- Photos / illustrations - This is an official and serious document, so avoid using them.
So what should the information include?
- Personal Information
- Make sure your personal contact information appears at the top of the document. Make a full name (first and last name) and year of birth.
- Residence - Make sure your exact address appears in the document. If you live in an area very far from the workplace or unfamiliar - write your exact address with the name of a nearby central city or indicate the proximity to it. For example: Mevaseret Zion (near Jerusalem).
- Attach a telephone / email number (preferably a link on the Word document) and a mobile number. Please note that the email address is correct and proper and does not consist of random words like email@example.com.
- If you have an official and professional LinkedIn profile, it is recommended that you add it.
- Portfolio - If you have a portfolio (especially relevant to designers) add it as a link.
2. Resume Summary
Check - Do you have a relevant summary for the job? The summary is an introduction of 3-4 lines located at the top of the document and its role is to summarize your experience.
The summary should be short and to the point - its purpose is to give initial information about who you are and what value you bring to the job. It is recommended to write the summary in separate lines and in reliefs.
3. Employment experience
- You do not need to list all the fields in which you have worked in the last few years, only those related to the job offered and thus indicate your experience in the field or jobs where it was necessary to use similar skills.
- Make sure there is no lack of information about certain years.
- If you received a commendation for a job you did / promotion for registering it.
How can you expand on the work experience?
- Sequence of work: Write down the roles you have performed in chronological order from the current / last position and past.
- Headline style: Indicate the name of the company and the type of job you performed in underlining.
- Year range: The time periods in the certificate document were written in years, less recommended in months.
- Did you work for a reputable company? Write it down. If the company does not sell - write down its field.
- Details: Explain below the job title what is a short bank rule.
- Skills: Add a main skill you had in the job.
I have experience in a variety of fields. How to build a suitable resume?
If you have experience in a variety of fields, it is important that you build a resume accordingly.
- It is important that you provide information that indicates that you meet the requirements of the job.
- Divide the experience into relevant 'and additional experience' experience. Thus the experience for the above position will be more prominent.
Beyond that, when the employment experience is diverse and includes extensive information, it is advisable to add a "summary" file And a cover letter that will highlight the experience relevant to the position we are approaching. * Hyperlink to the word "Abstract"
Companies that have too much experience for you, will be outright disqualified because of overtraining.
So what do you do?
- Rewrite roles you have performed in the past in a way that indicates your experience that is truly relevant to the job for which you are submitting a resume.
- Do not specify the scope of training accurately but only in a limited way. For example, if you managed a team of 15 employees, indicate "employee management" and not the exact number of employees you managed.
- If you have held positions of senior management authority that may deter employers
Potential, formulate the roles in a less threatening and more appropriate way to describe the role.
Maintaining employment stability is necessary and required. A quick transition between positions or periods in which it is not clear what you were dealing with, may be a factor that may adversely affect and disqualify you for instability in employment.
What does it take to show employment stability?
- Mention previous positions in periods of years and not in periods of months. This is so that recruiters will notice your responsibility and stability in the workplace.
- You can write at the top of the document - a long-term job search so that it is clear that you are serious.
- Make sure there is no lack of information during certain periods. If it is a period of study / work in the family field, state this. Even if it's a long maternity leave you took - state this information.
4. Education and studies
- Make sure that the certificate studies / courses described appear in this section and indicate in which frameworks were taught.
- Specify types of skills / knowledge. If it is useful for the position for which you are applying, emphasize this.
So how do you write information about education and studies?
- Write chronologically in reverse order from the last school period and the period before it in descending order.
- Indicate years of study and list the name of your graduation certificate (degree / institution / certificate).
- Mention your average score only if it is high (especially relevant in real areas).
- If you graduated with honors, indicate this (this information indicates your qualifications).
- In case you did not graduate - state the name of the institution where you studied only without details.
- Create a chapter "Studies and Sands" and list relevant courses you have taken (private / institutional) such as a sales course within a communications company.
- If you have a background in computer studies, create a chapter on "Programming Languages" - list the names of courses you have studied, your degree of mastery of programming languages and more.
- If you do not have an academic degree, enroll in a high school, high school and major major. If you have studied a number of trends and one of them is relevant to the position, write it down and detail it extensively.
- If you do not have a full matriculation in your network - indicate 12 years of schooling.
- You do not need to indicate achievements / grades from high school if you hold an academic degree.
5. Military service
A large proportion of employers / recruiters place emphasis on military service.
- Mention force and role. Specify a position only if it is relevant to the position for which you are applying.
- If you have served in a combat unit, indicate different courses (without details) - indicates learning abilities.
How do you get specifications for military service?
- If you served in a command / permanent position, this indicates responsibility and management ability, so we mentioned this.
- If you have served in national service (relevant mainly in the field of government / education / security) state this.
- If you are in a starting position, military service can benefit the recruiter to understand what abilities / skills you bring to the position in cases of this type Do not hesitate to emphasize it in a more prominent place in the document.
6. Mastery of languages / programming languages
- Language proficiency can vary depending on job requirements (such as good level English to native level). If you have partial control, mention this only if it concerns the job.
- Beyond that, there are jobs that require knowledge of computers from a basic level (mastery of office applications) and mastery of programming languages such as C ++ when there are usually several languages. If you are a candidate for the job that requires computer knowledge, you should note that this section will be detailed and include a level of control.
- Mention recommendations from previous employers towards the completion of the resume document according to the wording - recommendations will be provided upon request. " Do not attach recommendations unless the recruiter has asked you to.
- Add recommendations only if they are relevant to the job for which you are submitting a resume, for example: If you previously held an irrelevant position in the restaurant industry at the end of which you received a recommendation and you are now a candidate for a high-tech / project company, there is no point in attaching the recommendation.
In addition, a minimal recommendation that does not reinforce things you have written about yourself - there is no point in attaching.
8. Preliminary letter
- In Israel, it is less common to send a cover letter designed to impress recruiters with a few words in your personal touch. The letter shows your enthusiasm and allows you to reinforce prominent messages. Therefore, it is a good opportunity for you to differentiate yourself from the other candidates.
- In order to strengthen your candidacy, you can send a preliminary letter to register the recruiters. In the letter, write a number of words in the first person that will cause a feeling of identification with you and sympathy.
- Highlight messages that appear within your resume among many pieces of information so that recruiters will pay attention to them and can see how well you fit into the relevant job.
- Please note, only some recruiters read the letter, so it is important to be precise and write only things that appear in the resume.
- Beware of duplicates! Write the letter in person to a specific recruiter and do not duplicate to a large number of recruiters, as this will express contempt and disrespect towards the recruiter.
- Write the letter in the body of the email in a relevant place on the site and not as a separate Word file.
Good luck finding the new job
And remember! Just before you submit it is worth checking out your resume